save your sanity…and keep your hands free. wear your baby!
carrying liam in slings/carriers was my saving grace as a new mom. i could do chores around my home, nurse on the go, keep him quiet and comfy while on errands or at restaurants and help him sleep when absolutely nothing else worked–many days, he would nap in his slings while i went about my daily life. carrying our kids has affected so many of my friends and their babies in a positive way, i have to share with every new mom i meet–none of us can imagine what life would have been like if we didn’t have our wraps or slings or mei tais (skip the baby bjorn). he’s nearly two and still rides comfortably on my back–through airports, when shopping, on hikes or when he’s just too tired to walk.
my favorite wraps, slings and carriers (yep, i own them all).
- if you have to choose *just* one: the beco or ergo – from newborn to 30lb.+ toddler. a great all-purpose carrier.
- best for newborns and newbies: the moby wrap (stretchy jersey cotton fabric. just like tying a shoe – do it twice and you’ve got it!) especially beneficial to preemies who thrive on extra close contact with mommies and daddies. don’t get confused by the ultimate baby wrap – the moby is much better. holds up to 15 lbs comfortably.
- pouch sling: for newborns and babies – hotslings or the peanut shell. easy to use and cozy.
- versatile, comfy and stylish: babyhawk mei tais. simple to tie and perfect for wearing newborns on your front and babies on your back. rolls up and fits in a diaper bag. easy to carry through airports. one of my favorite babyshower gifts to give. newborn to toddler–my favorite carriers from 3 mos. to 1 year. customize your own!
- ring slings: zolowear. versatile and great for quick trips/errands. not as comfy for long-term wear (1 hour+) with heavier babies.
avoid: most mainstream carriers sold at stores like babies r us and target (this includes the baby bjorn). they aren’t as well made — and even more importantly, comfortable for you or ergonomically good for baby! having owned some of these carriers myself, i can assure you it is wise to explore other options.
gear and gadgets
- nursing cover: bebe au lait
- nursing pillow: better than the boppy (but with a silly name). tons more support – once i got one, i was bummed i didn’t have this one from the start! my brest friend
- britax car seats
- the bumbo seat
- co-sleepers: arms reach (bedside) snugglenest (in bed)
- the miracle blanket. the most amazing swaddling blanket–often imitated, but never duplicated. this was the only one that worked, every time with our little guy. yes, it truly was a miracle! a great baby shower gift.
- super baby food: the best book ever on making baby food (yes, it’s simple! – as easy as making a smoothie) – and nutrition for babies and toddlers.
- stoller: bugaboo frog. it was pricey. but, it is so durable it will last through all of our kids. we don’t use strollers often, but when we do, we’re glad we have it!
- bradley childbirth classes